- Do I need a driver’s license to rent a scooter?
- What kind of IDs do I need to present when I pick up my rental?
- How old do I have to be to rent a scooter from Dyad?
- Do I need to wear a helmet?
- What does the scooter rental include?
- Do I need a credit card to rent a scooter?
- Do you require a deposit to rent a scooter?
- Reservation, Modification, Cancellation, and No-Show
- How do I modify or cancel a reservation?
- How far in advance should I reserve a rental scooter?
- Is it easy to ride a scooter?
- I have never ridden a scooter before...
- How do I charge my scooter?
- Do you offer roadside assistance?
- May I return the scooter outside of the store opening hours?
- What happens if I return the scooter late or in advance?
- What happens if my scooter gets lost, stolen, or damaged?
- Liability in Case of Accident
1. Do I need a driver’s license to rent a scooter?
No, you don’t need a driver license if you are over 18 years old. However, you must show valid photo IDs and proof of age (driver’s licence, Sunlife card, passport, etc.) at the Dyad store. In the province of Quebec, Dyad electric scooters are legally classified as power-assisted bicycles. This means that they are bound by the same laws that apply to traditional bikes, not motorcycles or cars.
If you are under 18, you are welcome to ride on of our scooters but only as a passenger. You must also be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian who will sign a liability waiver.
2. What kind of IDs do I need to present when I pick up my rental?
In addition to a credit card, two of the following valid photo IDs are acceptable as a form of identification:
- Driver’s license
- Sunlife card
- Citizenship card
3. How old do I have to be to rent a scooter from Dyad?
You must be over 18 years old and provide 2 valid pieces of photo ID. Riders who are 18 or over do not require a driver's license to operate a scooter but must show valid photo ID and proof of age (driver’s licence, Sunlife card, passport, etc.) at the point of rental/departure.
4. Do I need to wear a helmet?
Yes, it is required by law.
5. What does the scooter rental include?
The scooter rental includes helmet, lock, map, and directions from our staff.
6. Do I need a credit card to rent a scooter?
Yes. You must provide a credit card for a temporary hold (a preauthorization). The preauthorization is $250 per rental scooter.
7. Do you require a deposit to rent a scooter?
Yes. You must provide a credit card for a temporary hold (a preauthorization). The preauthorization is $250 per rental scooter.A preauthorization is not a charge, but it places a lockdown on some of your funds. The available balance on your credit card is reduced by the amount of the preauthorization.
8. Reservation, Modification, Cancellation, and No-Show
Reservation: Booking can be completed online, by phone, or in person. All bookings must be prepaid, in full (online) or in part (by phone or in person), with a credit card or debit card.
Modification: We can change your rental date in advance at your request. All modification requests can be completed online, by phone, or in person. You will find our contact details on the “Contact” page. Remember to provide our staff with the details of your previous reservation. A confirmation of cancellation or modification will be emailed to you or confirmed over the phone. This confirmation will give the amount of your reimbursement and any amounts charged to your credit/debit card. Credit will be refunded to the card used for payment within 7 days.
Cancellation: If you cancel more than 24 hours before your scheduled pickup time, we’ll refund the full prepaid amount. If you cancel less than 24 hours beforehand, your payment will not be refunded.
No-Show: If you are absent at the time of your rental without any prior notice, your payment will not be refunded.
You have up to 3 months after your pickup date to request a refund.
9. How do I modify or cancel a reservation?
To modify or cancel a reservation, simply phone or email us with the details of your reservation.
10. How far in advance should I reserve a rental scooter?
It’s a good idea to book a few days in advance, but you are always welcome, even at the last minute.
11. Is it easy to ride a scooter?
Very easy. Most people learn in just a few minutes. However, just like learning to ride a bicycle, we recommend you practice until you are very confident before going out into traffic. We offer basic operating lessons when you buy a scooter.
12. I have never ridden a scooter before...
Dyad scooters are easy to ride, but a good sense of balance and coordination is required. You must know how to ride a bicycle. We don’t provide any lessons on riding - just instructions on how to operate the scooters safely. You will be riding on public roads. You are responsible for your safety but also for the safety of other scooterists, bikers, and pedestrians. You must be able to control the scooter and drive it competently. At the end of the day, we just want everyone to have a good time!
13. How do I charge my scooter?
To charge your scooter's battery, remove it and plug it into any available socket (charger is included in every rental) just as you would with your smartphone.
14. Do you offer roadside assistance?
Yes, we offer roadside assistance. If you need help on the road for any reason, we are always available to help.
15. May I return the scooter outside of the store opening hours?
Yes, you can. If you return the scooter outside of the store before opening hours, you remain fully responsible for it, though, even if you return the lock keys to our store key box (if available). If you need to return the scooter after hours, please contact our stores to make sure after-hours service is available.
16. What happens if I return the scooter late or in advance?
You agree to return the scooter at the date and time indicated in the rental agreement. We allow a 29-minute grace period at the end of your rental before a late penalty of 24 hours comes into effect. We do not reimburse the difference for rentals terminated before the time or date indicated in the rental agreement.
17. What happens if my scooter gets lost, stolen, or damaged?
If your rental scooter or any component gets lost, stolen, or damaged, you are completely responsible for the loss. In such an event, please inform Dyad as soon as possible by telephone or e-mail.
If you have home, credit card, or travel insurance that may pay for the stolen scooter, you will need to request a police report at the local police station. The rental documents explain your responsibility in more detail.
18. Liability in Case of Accident
You should have coverage through your own accident and liability insurance. We are not responsible, under any circumstances, for accidents or damage you cause to yourself, or which you cause to any third party or cases of liability.