FAQ on bike rentals
- What documents do I need to rent a bike?
- How old do I have to be to rent a bicycle?
- What does the bike rental include?
- Do I need to wear a helmet?
- How do I reserve a bicycle?
- Can I just walk in and rent a bike?
- Will my credit card be charged when I make the reservation?
- Reservation, Modification, Cancellation, and No-Show
- Is it easy to get around by bicycle in Montreal?
- Do you offer a delivery service?
- May I return the bicycle outside of the store opening hours?
- What happens if I return the bicycle late or in advance?
- What happens if my bicycle gets lost, stolen, or damaged?
- Liability in case of accident
1. What documents do I need to rent a bike?
You must bring 2 valid pieces of ID (i.e. driving license, Sunlife card, passport, etc.) and a credit card for the pre-authorization.
2. How old do I have to be to rent a bicycle?
We welcome all ages but riders under the age of 18 must have a parent or legal guardian sign the rentals documents for them.
3. What does the bike rental include?
All rentals include helmets, locks, maps, and even personalized itineraries (on request).
4. Do I need to wear a helmet?
No, but free helmets are included with every bicycle rentals. For anyone aged 18 or older riding a bike in Montreal, no municipal, provincial or federal law imposes the use of a helmet. However, we strongly recommend the use of a helmet. According to provincial law, helmets are mandatory in certain circumstances for children younger than 12 year of age.
5. How do I reserve a bicycle?
Booking can be completed online, by phone, or in person.
6. Can I just walk in and rent a bike?
Reservations are not required. However, we strongly encourage you to make a reservation. Otherwise, we cannot guarantee that we will have a bicycle available for you. You can make a reservation online, by phone or in person.
7. Will my credit card be charged when I make the reservation?
Yes. All bookings must be prepaid, in full (online) or in part (by phone or in person), with a PayPal or a credit card. We cannot finalize any bookings without a prepayment. The remaining charges will be billed in-store once you return the bike. You’ll agree to the start and return times with our staff before leaving with the bicycle.
8. Reservation, Modification, Cancellation, and No-Show
Reservation: Booking can be completed online, by phone, or in person. All bookings must be prepaid, in full (online) or in part (by phone or in person), with a credit card or debit card.
Modification: We can change your rental date in advance at your request. All modification requests can be completed online, by phone, or in person. You will find our contact details on the “Contact” page. Remember to provide our staff with the details of your previous reservation. A confirmation of cancellation or modification will be emailed to you. This confirmation will give the amount of your reimbursement and any amounts charged to your credit/debit card. Credit will be refunded to the card used for payment within 7 days.
Cancellation: If you cancel more than 24 hours before your scheduled pickup time, we’ll refund the full prepaid amount. If you cancel less than 24 hours beforehand, your payment will not be refunded.
No-Show: If you are absent at the time of your rental without any prior notice, your payment will not be refunded.
You have up to 3 months after your pickup date to request a refund.
9. Is it easy to get around by bicycle in Montreal?
Yes. Printed bicycle maps are free and available for pick up at Dyad (while supplies last). We can also help you decide where to go or what to do by giving you advice.
10. Do you offer a delivery service?
No, we don't.
11. May I return the bicycle outside of the store opening hours?
Yes, you can. If you return the bicycle outside of the store before opening hours, you remain fully responsible for it, though, even if you return the lock keys to our store key box (if available). If you need to return the bicycle after hours, please contact our store to make sure after-hours service is available.
12. What happens if I return the bicycle late or in advance?
You agree to return the bicycle at the date and time indicated in the rental agreement. We allow a 29-minute grace period at the end of your rental before a late penalty of 24 hours comes into effect. We do not reimburse the difference for rentals terminated before the time or date indicated in the rental agreement.
13. What happens if my bicycle gets lost, stolen, or damaged?
If your rental bicycle or any component gets lost, stolen, or damaged, you are completely responsible for the loss. In such an event, please inform Dyad as soon as possible by telephone or e-mail.
If you have home, credit card, or travel insurance that may pay for the stolen bicycle, you will need to request a police report at the local police station. The rental documents explain your responsibility in more detail.
14. Liability in case of accident
You should have coverage through your own accident and liability insurance. We are not responsible, under any circumstances, for accidents or damage you cause to yourself, or which you cause to any third party or cases of liability.